Todd E. Soloway
7 Times Square
New York, NY 10036-6569
Todd E. Soloway, a member of the Firm's Executive Committee and Chairman of the Real Estate Litigation Group, serves as an advisor and counsel to the real estate, real estate finance and hospitality industries.
Mr. Soloway brings to the table a broad spectrum of skills ranging from his extensive experience as a trial lawyer; in-depth knowledge of the complexities of real estate finance; oversight of sophisticated real estate transactions; and knowledge of the intricacies of the hospitality industry.
His practical, business-oriented approach has made Mr. Soloway a sought after commodity in the business community. His representative clients include Petra Capital Management, BLDG Management, Donald Trump, Setai Hotels, Silken Hotels, Thompson Hotels, The Paramount Group, RCN Corp., Solow Building Company, Capital Properties, and Liz Claiborne.
Mr. Soloway has also represented several Spanish and Latin American real estate investors and developers, including Espais Promocions Immobiliaries, S.L. Grupo Urvasco, S.A. and Ponte Gadea, S.A., in connection with complex real estate transactions and international litigation.
Mr. Soloway is a preeminent real estate litigator. His extensive knowledge covers nearly all aspects of the real estate universe including:
- Real estate finance and development
- Hospitality industry litigation
- Commercial lease litigation
- Partnership disputes
- Cooperative and condominium law
- Construction litigation
- Complex landlord-tenant disputes
- Title insurance issues
- The complexities of New York’s rent regulatory environment
Given the specialized needs of the real estate community, Mr. Soloway’s broad experience serves as an invaluable resource for his clientele. An aggressive trial lawyer, he regularly puts his expertise to work for clients in the Federal and State Court systems as well as in complex arbitrations and mediations.
Real Estate Finance
As established counsel to a number of institutional, private and mezzanine lenders as well as borrowers, Mr. Soloway is regularly called upon to provide litigation and transactional advice to clients in the real estate finance industry. As such he is on the cutting edge of the issues facing the real estate finance sector, including complex foreclosure proceedings, receivership issues, work-out negotiations, white-knight transactions and tax structuring.
Recognizing the added value to clients and working in conjunction with Pryor Cashman’s deep Real Estate Transactions Group, Mr. Soloway regularly puts his extensive contacts in the real estate world to work for his clients.
Real Estate Transactions
Adding to the breadth of his practice, Mr. Soloway has an extensive transactional real estate practice. Representing foreign and domestic real estate owners, developers and investors, Mr. Soloway, working in conjunction with the Real Estate, Corporate and Tax Groups, is adept at all aspects of real estate deal-making. In this regard his real estate litigation experience provides immeasurable value in assisting clients in evaluating transaction risks.
This component of Mr. Soloway’s practice includes acquisitions, dispositions, financing and leasing of residential, commercial and hotel properties world-wide. He also specializes in all aspects of complex construction and design contracts.
- Co-Author (with Joshua Bernstein and Eric Dowell), "Enforceability of Indefinite Terms in Real Estate Contracts," New York Law Journal (October 29, 2014)
- Co-Author (with Joshua Bernstein and Jared Newman), "Protection of Hotel Guest Data and Personal Information," New York Law Journal (August 20, 2014)
- Co-Author (with Joshua Bernstein), "The Enforceability of Letters of Intent," New York Law Journal (January 29, 2014)
- Co-Author (with Stephanie Kline), "Loan Structuring and the Equity of Redemption," New York Law Journal (October 30, 2013)
- Co-Author (with Joshua Bernstein and Jared Newman), "Branded Residences and the Owner’s Right of Termination," New York Law Journal (August 21, 2013)
- Co-Author (with Joshua Bernstein and Jared Newman), "The Termination of Hotel Management Agreements: Part II," New York Law Journal (April 17, 2013)
- Co-Author (with Eric Sherman), "Payments Made in Error: The Voluntary Payment Doctrine," New York Law Journal (January 9, 2013)
- Co-Author (with Luisa Hagemeier), "ʻRoberts’: Issues Yet to Be Decided, Part II," New York Law Journal (December 19, 2012)
- Co-Author (with Luisa Hagemeier), "Post-‘Roberts’: How Issues ‘Yet to Be Decided’ Were Decided," New York Law Journal (August 29, 2012)
- Co-Author (with Joshua Bernstein), "The Termination of Hotel Management Agreements, New York Law Journal (April 18, 2012)
- Co-Author (with Luisa Hagemeier), Applying ILSA to Sales of Condominium Units," New York Law Journal (January 11, 2011)
- Co-Author (with Luisa Hagemeier), "Construction Lenders: Keep Your Priorities Straight!," New York Law Journal (November 9, 2011)
- Co-Author (with Luisa Hagemeier), "Applications to Appoint Temporary Receivers," New York Law Journal (August 17, 2011)
- Co-Author (with Luisa Hagemeier), "Current Conditions in the Real Estate Mezzanine Market," Real Estate Finance & Investment (May 31, 2010)
- Author, "Holdover Tenants Dealt A Legal Blow," National Real Estate Investor (May 1, 2006)
- Co-Author (with Estis and Robbins), "Lease Renewal Options: Securing Equitable Relief For Failure To Timely Exercise," New York Law Journal (October 4, 2000)
- Speaker, N.Y. State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Commercial Leasing Committee Seminar, Landlord and Tenant Obligations in the Wake of the Kronish Lieb Case, New York (September 2008)
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Named by The Best Lawyers In America as one of the leading attorneys in Real Estate Law (2014, 2015)
- Named as a “Super Lawyer” in the area of Real Estate by Super Lawyers – New York Metro (2009-2014)
- Received the Pro Bono Award for outstanding service to the society by the New York-based Legal Aid Society for four consecutive years (2005-2008)
- Real Estate Division of UJA (REX)
- New York City Chapter of the Brandeis University Alumni Association, Past President
- B'nai B'rith Real Estate
To read Mr. Soloway's biography in Spanish, please click here.
Para leer la biografía en español del señor Soloway, por favor haz clic aqui.