F. Robert Stein
7 Times Square
New York, NY 10036-6569
Bob Stein joined Pryor Cashman in 1987. Bob counsels and represents authors, literary agents, book publishers and others in publishing negotiations and disputes. He drafts and negotiates author contracts, literary agency agreements, collaboration agreements, and all other book publishing agreements. He also reviews book manuscripts prior to publication for libel, copyright and other problems. To view a partial list of Bob's publishing clients, please click here.
Bob represents film producers in the pre-release review of screenplays and films (including Academy Award winners The Cove and Taxi to the Dark Side and Academy Award-nominated The Square, The Betrayal-Nerakhoon, No End in Sight and Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, as well as Emmy Award winner, Chasing Ice, and The House I Live In, Why We Fight, Wordplay, Mad Hot Ballroom, and others), and assists insurers of film and television productions in determining the insurability of various productions. To view Bob's complete filmography, please click here.
Bob is AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability.
- Warner Publishing, Inc., Vice President and General Counsel (1984–86)
- Warner Communications, Inc., Counsel (1978–84)
- Simon & Schuster, Deputy General Counsel (1976–78)
- CBS, Inc., Attorney (1974–76)
- Random House, Inc., Counsel (1971–74)
- Author, Book Publishing: Standard 'Trade Book' Author/Publisher Agreements (chapter in Entertainment Law, published by New York State Bar Association (1989, 1996, 2004)
- Author of monthly columns for The Noose, the periodic newsletter of the New York chapter of Mystery Writers of America, and for Nink, the monthly newsletter of Novelists, Inc. (a professional organization of published writers)
- Author of a series of articles on publishers’ contract forms published by Romance Writers of America in various issues of the Romance Writers’ Report.
- Panelist, Yours, Theirs, and Ours, Novelists Inc. annual conference (October 2014)
- Panelist, Fair Use Workshop, Producers Guild of America (July 2014)
- Panelist, Practicing Entertainment Law in New York, New York State Bar Association (June 2014)
- Panelist, Copyright Fair Use Across the Media, Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section of New York State Bar Association (January 2014)
- Bob has lectured for Practicing Law Institute, Mystery Writers of
America, Romance Writers of America, Law Seminars International and
others, including on the topic Writing the Legal Thriller/Mystery.
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Entertainment, Art and Sports Law Section