Robert J. deBrauwere
7 Times Square
New York, NY 10036-6569
Robert J. deBrauwere is co-chair of the firm's Digital Media Practice Group and is experienced in the areas of digital media, social media compliance, intellectual property, trademarks, unfair competition, advertising, copyrights, entertainment, publishing, pre-publication counseling, video gaming, licensing and promotions (including sweepstakes, contests and giveaways).
He regularly lectures in the areas of digital media, intellectual property law, defamation and publishing law.
Mr. deBrauwere is frequently called upon by the press to comment upon intellectual property, digital media and other matters.
Mr. deBrauwere is a 1993 cum laude graduate of Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he served as Senior Managing Editor of the Cardozo Arts & Entertainment Law Journal.
Before attending law school, Mr. deBrauwere was a senior logistics analyst and did computer programming for Unisys Corporation. He also worked in the areas of concert and theater sound and lighting production.
- Jacobs deBrauwere LLP, Partner (1998-2009)
- Jacobs & Conklin, Associate (1995-98)
- Gersten, Savage, Kaplowitz & Curtin, Associate (1993-95)
- Co-Author (with Michael Goldberg and James Klaiber), The Supreme Court's Latest Ruling On Copyright Law First-Sale Doctrine, Fashion Manuscript (May 2013)
- Co-Author (with Ryan Klarberg), The Realm of Advertising in 140 Characters or Less: How the FTC Addresses Modern Concerns over Digital Advertising, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (April 2013)
- Co-Author (with James Klaiber), The Supreme Court's Latest Ruling On Copyright Law First-Sale Doctrine, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (March 2013)
- Co-Author (with Jeffrey Johnson and Jill Braibanti), FTC Announces Major Overhaul of Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (January 2013)
- Co-Author (with Jeffrey Johnson and Jill Braibanti), Federal Trade Commission Cracks Down on Websites Illegally Collecting Children’s Personal Data, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (October 2012)
- Co-Author (with Jeffrey Johnson and Jill Braibanti), FTC Proposes Overhaul to Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (January 2012)
- Speaker, Understanding the FTC's Updated Guides for Digital Advertising LIVE Webcast." Knowledge Congress (February 2014)
- Speaker, Financial Services & Social Media – Branding and Compliance Landscape, Active Network - Financial and Insurance Meetings and Events Summit (May 2013)
- Panelist, Social Media Revolution: What is Your Digital Footprint?, Stony Brook University (March 2013)
- Panelist, Rethinking Brand: Opportunities and Risks in a Post-JOBS Act World, Pryor Cashman/Dreisbach Design Group/Tilman & Co. (March 2013)
- Panelist, Unique Legal Aspects of Celebrity Engagement, Entertainment and Technology Law Conference, Digitalmusic.org (February 2013)
- Speaker, Advertising Sweepstakes and Contests in Social Media, The Knowledge Group, LLC/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series (November 2012)
- Panel Moderator, Blogging Without Logging FTC Lawsuits, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (October 2012)
- Speaker, Harvard Law School Entertainment Law Symposium: The Democratization of Entertainment, discussing “Online Music Licensing: Is Open Source viable?” (November 2011)
- Speaker, 5th Annual Social Media Compliance in Financial Industry Conference, focusing on privacy issues arising from the implementation of technological solutions to ensure compliance with SEC and FINRA regulations (September 2011)
- Speaker, Financial Services & Social Media – Strategies and Tools for Managing Compliance Risk (June 2011)
- Speaker, Building a High Net Worth Network: Social Media Strategies & Compliance for Financial Services Firms (May 2011)
- Moderator and Speaker, I Want It Now! Legal Issues Surrounding the Adaptation of On-Demand Models in the Entertainment & Publishing Industries, Georgetown University Law School 4th Annual GEMA Law Sports and Entertainment Law Symposium (March 2011)
- Lecturer, Intellectual Property for In-house Counsel: Critical Issues, Fresh Ideas, Best Practices - Discussing Termination of Licenses and Grants of Copyrights Under the U.S. Copyright Act and Legal Issues Surrounding Social Media Advertising, New York State Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section Annual Meeting (January 2011)
- Panel Moderator, The Impact of the Internet and Social Media on Law, Public Policy and Society, Stony Brook University Department of Political Science (November 2010)
- Guest Lecturer, Digital Media Issues in the Music Industry, Fordham Law School, Music Law Seminar (April & July 2010)
- Panelist, Piracy: High Seas to High Tech, discussing Second Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Rescuecom Corp. v. Google, Inc. and implications for Google and other search engines of the court’s finding that Google’s AdWords and Keyword Suggestion Tool programs may constitute a “use in commerce” of trademarks that is actionable under the federal trademark act (Lanham Act) (September 2009)
- Guest Lecturer, Defamation, Privacy and Digital Media Law Issues, SUNY Stony Brook School of Journalism (October 2009)
- Lecturer, Media Defense Seminar – Defamation, Privacy and Related Issues, Trends and Developments, Chubb Specialty Insurance seminar for insurance underwriters on understanding and managing risks concerning defamation, privacy and related matters (February 2009)
- Lecturer, Digital Media International LLC seminar on publishing issues facing digital media publishers, including protections afforded by Digital Millennium Copyright Act and Section 230(c) of the Communications Decency Act (March 2008)
- Lecturer, Managing Risk in the Blogosphere, Chubb Specialty Insurance seminar on blogging and insurance-related risks (October 2006)
- Lecturer, Chubb Specialty Insurance seminar for insurance claims handlers on efficiently analyzing and dealing with claims brought against policy holders for intellectual property, defamation and privacy matters (March 2004)
- Lecturer, providing semi-annual seminars for publishing clients’ Editorial, Advertising, Marketing, Photography and Online departments concerning legal issues and practice guidelines related to their respective areas (1994-present)
- Lecturer, Career Paths of Experts in Entertainment, Art, Trademark and Copyright Law, New York Law School (October 2003)
- Lecturer and Organizer, The Nuts and Bolts of Magazine Publishing, New York County Lawyers’ Association CLE course (September 2003)
- Panel Moderator and Organizer, Protection of Designs: Building Your Arsenal Using Trade Dress and Design Patent, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (February 1997)
- Lecturer, The Status of Domain Names on the Internet, Injunctive Relief for Unfair Competition, New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section Annual Meeting (October 1996)
- Panel Moderator and Organizer, The Value of Intent-to-Use Trademark Applications After Warnervision, Fordham University School of Law (June 1996)
- Program Chairperson, New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section, Committee on Trademark Law (1995-97)
- Advisory Board of NBA Player Gary Forbes’ Gary Forbes Foundation, focusing on providing emotional support to young people living with diabetes through diabetes awareness community events and the TypeOneTwo.org website.
- Board Member/Secretary, Nathan Sawaya’s Art Revolution Foundation, created to provide funding and resources to advocate the importance of art in the education of youth, health and wellness programs, and the inspiration and facilitation of the arts for the benefit of the general public.
- Former Member, Legal Affairs Committee Magazine Publishers of America
- Media Law Resource Center – Internet Law Committee
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- New York State Bar Association (Sections on Entertainment, Art and Sports Law and Intellectual Property Law)
- Stony Brook University – Alumni Association Board of Directors, Advocates Committee Chair and Dean’s Council, College of Arts and Sciences
- Diabetes Training Camp, Inc. – Board of Advisors
- Named a “Super Lawyer” in Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers – New York Metro (2013, 2014)
- Endurance Athlete – marathons, road races and cycling
- Work with foundations to generate scholarship funding and support for clinical research regarding diabetes and exercise
- Work with Type-1 diabetics to maximize health and blood sugar control through fitness and exercise
- Video Gamer