Bertrand C. Fry
7 Times Square
New York, NY 10036-6569
Bertrand Fry is a partner in Pryor Cashman’s Corporate Group and is co-head of the firm’s Investment Management Group. Bert has nearly twenty years of general corporate and transactional experience that includes extensive experience with alternative investment vehicles. In addition to having launched and advised a diverse array of U.S. and non-U.S. investment products, including vehicles engaged in macro, distressed, private equity, venture capital, and real estate investing, debt origination, and quantitative trading of securities and futures, his practice has included, among other things, structuring and advising investment managers and advisers, private company mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures.
Bert is particularly well attuned to the business needs of his clients, based on more than a decade of in-house experience at the D. E. Shaw group, where Bert was a Senior Vice President and served for a period as Acting General Counsel. During his tenure there, the D. E. Shaw group included several SEC-registered investment advisers and, at its apex, managed approximately $40 billion across various strategies and multiple funds. Bert also launched and advised a wide range of hedge funds, funds of funds, and their managers as a member of the London office of Dechert LLP.
Bert earned his A.B., with honors, from the University of Chicago and his J.D., with honors, from The University of Texas at Austin School of Law, where he was also an articles editor for the Texas Law Review and received the Outstanding Second-Year Member Award from the Texas Law Review, the Gilbert I. Low Endowed Presidential Scholarship in Law, and Highest Achievement in Contracts.
- D. E. Shaw Group, Senior Vice President (1996-2001 and 2003-12)
- Dechert LLP, Senior U.S. Counsel (2001-03)
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, Associate (1993-96)
- Co-Author (with Michael Campoli, Stephen Goodman and Durre Hanif), Potential Broker-Dealer Pitfalls for Private Investment Funds and their Managers, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (April 2013)
- Co-Author (with Michael Campoli and Stephen Goodman), Is An Issuer Responsible For The Acts Of Its Unregistered Finder?, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (April 2013)
- Co-Author (with Michael Campoli and Meghan Dwyer), Last Chance To Prepare For End-Of-Year Changes In The CFTC's Regulation Of Private Investment Funds, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (November 2012)
- Co-Author (with Stephen Goodman and Michael Campoli), FINRA Piles It On: Private Placements To Wealthy Individuals Trigger FINRA Filing Requirements, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (October 2012)
- Co-Author (with Stephen Goodman and Michael Campoli), The Path Opens for Advertising in Rule 506 and Rule 144A Offerings: SEC Proposes Rules Effecting the JOBS Act’s Elimination of the General Solicitation Ban in Private Offerings, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (October 2012)
- Co-Author (with David Parsly), SEC Proposes Rules Effecting the JOBS Act's Elimination of the General Solicitation Ban in Private Offerings, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (August 2012)
- Co-Author (with Jill Braibanti), Changes in the "Qualified Client" Test: Challenges for Investment Advisers Charging Performance Fees, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (May 2012)
- Co-Author (with Jonathan Shepard and Jill Braibanti), JOBS Act Lifts the General Solicitation Prohibition and Increases the Record Holder Threshold for Private Investment Funds, Pryor Cashman Legal Update (April 2012)
- Contributing Author, Guide to Sound Practice for European Hedge Fund Managers. Authored chapter on "Hedge Fund Structure and Organization." Alternative Investment Management Association Limited (2002)
- Panelist, Rethinking Brand: Opportunities and Risks in a Post-JOBS Act World, Pryor Cashman/Dreisbach Design Group/Tilman & Co. (March 2013)
- Speaker, JOBS Act Implications, Alternative Investment Summit,Las Vegas, Nevada (October 2012)
- Speaker, Legal Consequences of the Market Collapse and the Ongoing Fallout, City Bar Center for CLE, New York, NY (February 2009)
- Moderator, Why Are There No Limited Partnership Funds-of-Funds in Europe?, Global Alternative Investment Management, Funds of Funds Forum, Geneva (November 2002)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Investment Management Regulation Committee