7 Times Square
New York, NY 10036-6569
Lawrence Remmel is experienced in banking and real estate financings, 1940 Act transactions, and asset securitizations, including securitizations involving the biotechnology industry. His work frequently involves intellectual property and licensing issues, in particular in the biotechnology area. Larry has worked on warehouse facilities, joint ventures, intellectual property transfers and the merger and acquisition of various businesses. He has been a partner at the firm since 1988.
Larry’s representative transactions include:
- Representation of the sole lender in a $85MM facility to a pool of real estate assets, issued by US and non-US issuers
- Development of Securitized Unregistered Bio-Technology Limited Enhanced™ units, a novel means of securitizing pharmaceutical royalty cash flows
- The Bel Air film financing, providing off-balance sheet studio financing for a renewable slate of films
- Formation of the New Ventures Fund I biotech private equity fund, providing funding to late stage biotechnology companies
Larry provides counsel to JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. and other institutions on Investment Company Act of 1940 transactions. In addition, he regularly works with Marina Biotech, Inc., various other biotechnology and cosmeceutical companies, and various private equity funds. He also lectures from time to time at JPMorgan Chase and other institutions on the 1940 Act. He is a director of Atossa Genetics Inc., a NASDAQ-listed company (NASDAQ: ATOS), and serves on the company’s audit committee.
Larry is frequently called upon by the press to comment upon banking and finance matters. To read samples of such press coverage, please click here.
- Reboul, MacMurray, Hewitt, Maynard & Kristol, Associate (1984-88)
- Carter, Ledyard & Milburn, Associate (1979-84)
- Speaker, Secured Transactions: Comparing the Approaches of UCC articles 8 & 9 to the Talmudic Concept of "Shibud," Institute of American and Talmudic Law (April 2013)
- Speaker, Dodd-Frank Financial Reform: Creating a Future of Periodic Failure, RSM McGladrey, Inc. Risk and Compliance Breakfast (July 2010)
- Panelist, Jefferies Life Sciences Conference on Structuring Biotech Licenses (June 2006)
- New York State Bar Association